It’s a quick out and back again – as were not leaving here soon, its a good spot, nice and quiet, cats are happy (even if there getting a little bored!) and with the UK on lockdown, and CRT removing the requirement to move every 14 days – it’s possibly safer to stay here than to move onto an unknown area.
The hire car was taken back this morning – after a 1 day rental on Friday to do an essential trip to get Anna’s meds.. It was like a 1980’s Sunday out there.. hardly any cars on the road.. The motorways were a joy to drive on – and the A34 I had all to myself! Enterprise are quite rightly not doing any “from home” collections or deliveries during the lock down – so it was a walk there Friday morning, and a walk back on Saturday.
With all the cat’s onboard and locked below – we set off for Armada Boat hire – 1/2 a mile away, through Newbold tunnel. We already know that they are remaining open at the moment – whilst other marinas are closing down and securing their sites. A quick call confirmed this, and that they will be open today until 1pm, and closed tomorrow – so we need to get a wriggle on!
Once there and pulled in, checked the process – which was as expected.. stay below and let them get on with it – once done, pay for the topped off diesel tanks and empty toilet tank (yes – the pump out is early – but its better to have 2 weeks grace, than risk them also being closed next week when were desperate for one!) in the office and pull out again.
A quick turn round at the entrance to Lime Farm Marina (currently closed) – so no one to shout at me by using their entrance as a turning circle (like previously when we did this a year or so ago!)
Then back to our current mooring spot (thankfully, starboard side onto the bank now – so we can strap the side of the boat up so were level and stay that way)
Unfortunately, Fishsmith’s is now closed for the foreseeable to protect their staff (understandably so).. so no more take away’s.. I guess we may need to get a Pizza delivered to the pub car park one night!
I think we may head back to the mooring near to Tesco’s for a few days next week – so it’s easier to get a big shop in whilst local.. After that.. who knows.. but what is known.. is that the following area is our range for the near future – everything we may need is here, so why move on unless we really get bored with the place.
It’s the first time of staying put for an unknown period without being “forced” to by the conditions.. I wonder what will be next month.. so far 2019 & 2020 has proven to be a sod..
- Summer ’19 – North Wales / Thames – A good summer all told.. and then..
- October ’19 – Stuck on the Thames @ Fobney Lock due to Red Boards
- October ’19 – Stuck again on the Thames @ Caversham Lock due to Red Boards
- October ’19 – Stuck again on the Thames @ Clifton Lock.. guess why..
- November ’19 – Stuck again on the Thames @ Sandford Lock.. you know why by now..
- November ’19 – Stuck AGAIN on the Thames @ Osney Lock..
- November ’19 – Honey died due to injuries sustained during a fall getting off the boat – whist still stopped @ Osney Lock.
- December ’19 – Stuck at Aynho Wharf, Oxford Canal – High water levels making passage under Nell Bridge impossible..
- January ’20 – OMG! A month without major issues (other than running out of fuel) !!
- February ’20 – Luna dissapeared @ Cropredy – To this day.. not been seen (by us) again..
- March ’20 – Possible sighting of Luna.. dead in the canal, recovered by a passing dog walker, “bagged up” and placed next to the bins in Cropredy!! Everyone on board freaks out.. A lady in the Cropredy village closed facebook group checks the bag for us as we are miles away from Cropredy.. its not her! ( but the cat is someones – I’m beginning to think the town of Cropredy doesn’t like cats!)
- March ’20 – A new crew member (I have to add some joy to this list) – Bella joins us on our travels.. 1 week before…
- March ’20 – COVID-19 causes an “all network stop moving”.. so were stuck again.. even though we can move.. but shouldn’t
- April ’20 – No idea yet.. But I feel this list has not finished with us yet! Who knows.. Easter may bring a man eating bunny out of a cave attacking passing knights and there is still July 4th to get through.. No I have not rules out aliens yet..